It’s been three days since my mom’s birthday, I never thought that time flew that fast as gold as we all aged day by day. I am so grateful to have a mom like her as she supported and motivated me through all my achievements in life. Celebrating her birthday was a memorable moment that she and her family could cherish on as she gets along through us that day with our feet up high. I will never forget this moment of a lifetime. Once again, Belated Happy Birthday Mommy!
I remembered how my mom craved for cakes whenever she liked some. She told me to recreate the Lemon Meringue Cake that she bought from a local bakeshop. From then on, I challenged myself and recreated one of her favorite cake for her birthday. So here is the result of my recreated Homemade Lemon Meringue Cake.
Feel free to check out my own recipe of Lemon Meringue Cake down below if you want to make this cake, It’s simple yet easy to make!
Ingredients: (Yield: 2 Layer Cake)
3 egg whites
1/4 of sugar (for the meringue) 3/4 cup of butter, softened 1 egg
2 cups of sugar, 200 ml of milk
3 cups of all-purpose flour, sifted
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: You will be needing 3 bowls for this recipe but if you have a stand mixer, 2 bowls will be good (optional).
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, to Grease a 9″ Cake Pan lined with Parchment paper at the bottom.
2. In a large bowl, Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt then mix until incorporated.
3. In another large bowl, Beat the egg whites until it is foamy. Add the sugar then beat until it becomes stiff peaks (Set it Aside)
4. In another large bowl, Beat the butter and sugar until it gets light and creamy. Add the Egg, Vanilla Extract, Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice and Beat until well-combined
5. In an alternating method, Mix half of the flour mixture into the wet mixture together with half of the milk then mix until combined. Then repeat the process for the remaining dry mixture and milk until it is well incorporated
6. .Fold in one-third of the meringue into the wet mixture, mix until it gets light and airy. Fold in the rest of the meringue, mix until it gets runny and airy.
7. Place the mixture into the cake pan and bake it in a preheated oven for 30~35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
2 eggs yolks
1/2 cup of white sugar
3/4 cup of softened butter
2 tablespoons of corn flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1. In a large saucepan, Place the lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar then mix until it is incorporated
2. On a medium heat, mix the mixture together for 3 minutes to fully dissolved its sugar
3. Leave the saucepan out from the heat, Add the egg yolks and butter from the saucepan and mix vigorously (to avoid any cooked eggs from the pan)
4. Take it again on the stove on medium heat, and stir the mixture vigorously yet constantly for 5 minutes until no egg yolks are visible
5. Place the corn flour to the mixture- while mixing the mixture. Then see the result for 5-10 minutes. You should have a thick, yellow mixture
6. Take the mixture out from the stove and let it cool for 10-15 minutes
7. Place it into a container and set it aside to chill and rest
Vanilla Meringue Icing:
2 egg whites (66-70g)
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1. In a double boiler, Mix in the egg whites and sugar, Whisk constantly until it warms and well-dissolved
2. Place the mixture from a bowl, and using a stand mixer/ hand mixer, mix the mixture for 7-10 minutes until soft- glossy or stiff peaks.
1. Place a dab of icing on the cake board to stick the cake from assembling
2. Place the first layer of cake from the cake board and spread a little amount of lemon curd from the top (just like a peanut butter amount of level)
3. After finishing the spreading of lemon curd, Place the remaining layers of cake and curd until it reaches to the number of layers you have
4. Use the meringue mixture to cover the cake (From top to sides), Cover the cake until it is well-covered
5. Use a blow-torch to toast the meringue cake for that rustic look
6. Voila Enjoy your Homemade Lemon Meringue Cake