People called this dessert as one of the trendiest desserts of 2018 as it became viral through all social media in the Philippines. This dessert contains a lot of chocolate galoré layers- which contains 5 layers of chocolate flavors.
The first layer is the moist chocolate cake
The second layer is the bitter chocolate filling
The third layer is the chocolate ganache
The fourth layer is the crackling chocolate
The last layer is the dusted cocoa powder
It all started from one of the famous dessert shops who started selling this kind of cake- namely “Le Sucre Lab”. Actually, this is the first shop that I have first tried my chocolate dream cake because it was my birthday and one of my aunts gave me this kind of cake as my birthday cake. I have to say that it was a great taste of flavor. At first, I never thought that this cake was just merely a filling all over the place but I then realized that it has 5 layers of heavenly chocolate dessert. Through then, I started testing a lot of chocolate dream cakes in the Philippines- a total of 5 stops namely, Le Sucre Lab, Cakes by Alyannas, Sissy’s, Aperitif, and Oh My G Cakes.
Among the five dreams cake stops I tried, The best one, in my opinion, was the Aperitif, because of the right amount of sweetness that the layers had as I took a bite through it. It also has a wonderful edible chocolate gold cup for the cake that the four dream cake stops doesn’t have- which made them unique. Although it was quite expensive, it was definitely a worth-to-try cake if you would want a not-to-sweet dream cake. This is the place that I would recommend for you.
Based on my insight about the Le Sucre Lab’s Cake, It was one of the tastiest dream cake I ever tasted as it blends all the chocolate layers that were made as one. I also love how the chef started this kind of cake as it goes viral all over the media. Although, the secret was revealed and everyone who has learned his recipe replicated his dish and elevate it into something elegant just like his cake.
If you want something cakey and fudgy dream cake, I would recommend you to go at Oh My G Cake. The layer of this dream cake dominantly was filled with a high layer of cake and the four layers at the top. This is great for a group of friends who tempts and loves to eat chocolate dream cakes.
For the Sissy’s and Cakes by Alyanna, I would say that both of them are a tie for me. They both have similar flavors for me although Sissy’s has that balanced layers for me compared to Cakes by Alynna. But overall, both cakes really stand out, It is the matter of how they market the cakes because sometimes most cakes tend to be similar to each other
After tasting all these five dream cakes, I finally made my own! I researched all the things I need and came up to make my own twist to this cake. Feel free to check out my own recipe on how I make this awesome yet trendy flavorful chocolate dream cake. Enjoy!
Chocolate Dream Cake Recipe
Yield: 2 gold tin can cakes
1st Layer: Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water + 1 tbsp of instant coffee
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2nd Layer: Bitter Sweet Chocolate Filling
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of cornflour (cornstarch)
1 cup of milk
3rd Layer: Chocolate Ganache
1 cup of dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of heavy cream
4th Layer Crackling Chocolate
250g of Milk Chocolate or Dark Chocolate, melted
5th Layer: Cocoa Powder
Procedure # 1: (For the Cake)
1. Prepare a large square tray or 2 9′ round pan greased with oil and line with parchment paper below. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, Mix together the eggs, oil vanilla extract, and white vinegar until well-incorporated.
3. In an alternative way, Mix together half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, Mix until combine then add in half of the instant coffee mix with water mixture into the wet mixture until it thins out. Do it alternative until no dry and water mixture is left.
4. Place the mixture into the pan and bake the cakes for 35-40 minutes until well-baked
5. Cool the cakes off until ready to assemble
Procedure #2 (Bitter Sweet Chocolate Filling)
1. In a large saucepan, Mix together the cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch and milk until combined
2. Heat the saucepan to medium heat and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens up- This will take 5-10 minutes to thicken up
3. After it thickens up, Set it aside (As long as the hotness of the temperature remain for assembly)
Procedure # 3 (Chocolate Ganache)
1. Place the chocolate chips and cream into a microwave-safe bowl
2. Microwave the ganache for 30 seconds until it all sets
3. Mix the mixture thoroughly until it is well-incorporated and no lumps are formed
4. Set it aside for assembly
Procedure #4 (Crackling Chocolate)
1. Melt the chocolates into a double boiler or microwave them in a microwave-safe bowl for 20-30 secs until melted
1. Crumble the cakes until well fined or slight rough texture
2. In a container or gold tin, placed the first layer of cake, make sure to level all the cake in the can/ container to avoid any unequal layers
3. Place the right amount the second layer of filling (bittersweet chocolate filling). Make sure to move the filling around the cake to cover it up.
4. Place the next layer of filling (Chocolate Ganache) on to the top of the second layer. Make sure to move the filing around the cake to cover it up.
5. Refrigerate the cake for 25-30 minutes until the ganache is set
6. Remove the 3 layer dessert out of the fridge and place the next layer (Crackling Chocolate), Make sure to move the filling around the cake to cover it up
7. Using a sifter, dust the cocoa powder around the cake for the finishing touch
8. It is a must to fridge the cake for 24 hours to blend all the 5 layers together for a more refined and mouth-watering dessert